Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Should I be Flattered or Pissed?

Wow. This is not the blog I thought it would be. I just discovered the title of one of my poems has been usurped by a classmate. I was actually looking at poems by Carrie Addington to post here. She and I did a workshop together in 2004 in Italy. She was one of my best buds there. We roomed together in Venice. She is a damn good poet. And apparently a bit of a thief. The poem that I workshopped (which she gave many accolades to) was called "The Intolerable Nature of Yearning." Oh, but what do I find when looking for poetry by Carrie? A poem published in 2006 called "The Intolerable Nature of Drifting." Worst of all she won an award for it. Thankfully the rest of the poem is completely different but still.... That seems pretty blatant. Mine has not actually been published yet so potentially, when it is, it will look like I jacked her idea. At any rate I was very surprised to find that and more than a little hurt.
Thoughts on this matter are welcome.

1 Comments:

At August 9, 2007 at 4:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home