Sunday, August 19, 2007

Rare Film Clips Of The Poet Anne Sexton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfvS_fgbuDI

I really can't say enough about Anne Sexton. She was probably the first poet that I felt a real visceral connection to. Having just come back from a girls' weekend at the beach I thought of her, The poem Her Kind, which she reads on this clip, and so many other poem s by Anne that have made an impact on me. The audio is not great on this one so I want to include the poem Her Kind as well. I find it difficult to post just one because I love so many of them, but there will be more to come in time. I apologize if some of the line breaks are not what they should be; it is a hazard of posting poetry sometimes.

Her kind
I have gone out, a possessed witch,
haunting the black air, braver at night;
dreaming evil, I have done my hitch
over the plain houses, light by light:
lonely thing, twelve-fingered, out of mind.
A woman like that is not a woman, quite.
I have been her kind.

I have found the warm caves in the woods,
filled them with skillets, carvings, shelves,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the elves:
whining, rearranging the disaligned.
A woman like that is misunderstood.
I have been her kind.

I have ridden in your cart, driver,
waved my nude arms at villages going by,
learning the last bright routes, survivor
where your flames still bite my thigh
and my ribs crack where your wheels wind.
A woman like that is not ashamed to die.
I have been her kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home