Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Esprit d'Escalier

The French have a saying that translates in English to The Spirit of the Stairway. Basically this refers to when you think of the perfect remark or retort at exactly the wrong time, i.e. as you are heading down the stairs and out of the house.

I was thinking of this today, as I'm sure that I did have some perfect retort or clever witticism that did not occur to me until long after the fact . This happens innumerable times a day. Nothing unusual.

I wonder though, is there a phrase for all of the things you said but wish you hadn't? That moment right after it comes out when you think, 'Oh, fuck. I wish I could put that one back in.' I have a phrase, that I stole from a friend for the evenings when I lie awake plagued by years of things I wish I hadn't said or done. I refer to this as enumerating my regrets.

Is it worse to have said something that you wish you could take back or to have never said anything at all?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home